Thursday, August 5, 2010

Franzaholics of Dune


As befits the novel, discussion of Frank Herbert's Dune covered many a theme and topic, from the central allegory of Spice as Oil, to the lead's shockingly fast progression from likable-if-naive young noble Paul Atreides to unlikable and fearful messiah/revolutionary Paul Muad'Dib. Paul's age at the end of the novel, proposed to be somewhere between 17 and 25, remains uncertain, though it was agreed he was quite young for someone so powerful. Much was made of the speculative aspects of genetics, human capability over technological, and politics, as well as the progression of the series, and the changing perspectives on its characters, as protagonist becomes antagonist, the powerless become powerful, and the old order reacts to the new. The strange impotence of those who seemingly hold the power was brought up, and how the pull of their drug--spice, commerce, or oil--renders them such, also was brought up, as was Herbert's disinterest of action in favor of the consequences of action, and the creation of vivid characters to inhabit his detailed universe. The spice did indeed flow.

5 comments:

  1. I hear the discussion was hearty. I am sad to have missed it. As class doesn't start for another couple of weeks, I will do my best to re-read Handmaid's Tale so I can give you some questions to discuss. The sex scene is all I really remember for notable reasons a) it's sex and b) it's awful. Sad to have missed the Franz. I hope it was the blush!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantabulous! It was leftover Franz, but I think it was the Blush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the sex scene in the movie? It follows the book exactly and it is disturbing. I don't really like the movie as a whole, a bit too earnest, but that scene is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I could actually handle a realistic version of that scene. It's bad enough in my head as it is but to have permanent visuals...not sure. When did the movie come out? Who is in it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was done in 1990 from a screenplay by Harold Pinter. It has Faye Dunaway as Serna Joy Natasha Richardson as Offred and Robert Duvall as the Commander among others. It's been awhile since I have seen it. I remember thinking that it was a bit too black and white and the acting too wooden. Like a really well made Christian movie. It had that propagandistic feel to it. Something that does not exist in the book.

    ReplyDelete

Followers