Thursday, December 16, 2010

We shall discuss your affairs over a Christmas box of Franzia, Bob!

What to say about the second most well known Christmas story? Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" is a story whose particulars are well known to us all, but few had read the original. What did we discover?


Not a whole lot, it turns out, though we did learn a few things. We discussed Dickens' writing process, his celebrity, the traditions he followed, and the company he kept. Favorite adaptations were mentioned. Bits of wit Dickens sprinkled throughout the text were enthused over. Omissions from adaptations were cataloged, and the nature of Scrooge dissected.

And we raved over the artichoke/tomato/pepper snackie things, ranted over the lack of good pita bread, discovered entertainment crackers that tasted like cookies, and talked about Micheal Vick before we went for beer. Thus did the story bring us together, perhaps the greatest gift of all! Awwww.

Quote of the Night--
Andrea: "Did you know they have chubbies?"
Kelly: "You're really going to have to define that more narrowly."

1 comment:

  1. Had I been there I would have said this: I discovered a WHOLE lot! Maybe it's because I spent eight weeks surrounded by bland, flat research books but the prose in this made me happy all around. I love his wit and his fancy. When I suggested Dickens I really really really didn't want to read this. I hate the way it is cut and recut every Christmas by someone new who thinks they can get the message across in a better way. And I hate being told "See! Happiness is what Christmas is about! Don't you see??" because I know what Christmas is about. The story has been told so many ways by so many voices I just get disgusted by it. But reading the original made me really see why it has such lasting power and why so many people want to try to cover it their own way. Most importantly it showed me why they all fail at it so miserably. This book is perfection. It is long enough to cover the basics but short enough to keep it interesting (just like a miniskirt, thanks to Sara for the metaphor). Dickens makes you care about Scrooge and gets you into his head more than any interpretation I have seen. He makes Scrooge feel like a real person, not just a guy who is angry at the world for no reason but who has a tortured past he hasn't confronted. In the end I think the puns are what won me over the most though. Those were pretty awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers